3:38 AM

Flushing

Posted by Yuinyi |

As usual I am in the middle of doing my assignment which is due in about 8 hours and I suddenly really miss the hustle bustle of Flushing, New York.

I was told that Flushing was the "new" Chinatown, and it's getting even busier and livelier than Chinatown itself. During my stay in New York, I've been down to Chinatown a few times, more than I have been to Flushing, because my friends were crazy over Chinatown - the egg tarts, which I have to admit was really good, the Chinese food, and.. well the Chinese food.

But for some reasons, Flushing left a more vivid memory in me. Maybe I haven't explored Chinatown enough. Or maybe it's because I was exploring Flushing with my sister, without much of a guide except for our own sense of directions, and mine sucks by the way.


I remember visiting boutiques - they actually have MNG, the only one I've seen so far in the US (perhaps they just don't have it in Illinois?) - and passing by the stall which supposedly sold very good fried chicken. We wanted to stop by, but it was just too long a wait. And we found our way to Curry Leaves, where I gasped at Kaya and bought it immediately, and grabbed the one last curry puff on the rack. There was also another Malaysian restaurant where I ordered my favourite Kangkung Belacan (which was really pricey btw) and Wat Tan Hor. We went around, and I gleamed at Chinese herbs and spices, and bakeries. I love bakeries - the egg tarts, and hotdog buns! We also saw a lot of Chinese New Year stuff as the new year was approaching. I imagined decorating my apartment here with everything I saw, but I also remembered I only have one luggage bag which will not fit all those stuff.

It sure was lively, and some parts of me wished I'm living in New York, and not Champaign. Well a huge part of me wished so. I've randomly picked some photos off Google because I didn't take any photos in Flushing - I can't believe it too =.=. I wished I did.

Maybe one other reason I remembered it so well was because it was the entire day hanging out with my sister. We rarely do that, and it was pretty fun. :)

I would really like to go back to New York some day.

2 craps:

Alicia said...

I miss the egg tarts too =(

Yuinyi said...

Yea. Must learn to make one day! :D

Subscribe